Thursday, June 5, 2008

Many Thanks

Turning 30 in Antarctica was an experience I'll not soon forget and I will remember with poignancy. Not only was Palmer a cool place to have a milestone birthday, it was made even more special by all the well-wishes that I received from emails, voice mails, Facebook/Myspace posts, signs in the galley, a card signed by almost all on station, balloons at my desk, and just simple exchanges in the hallway.

For those of you that weren't here, my birthday was spent at work, but work with a twist. No one here let me forget that it was a special day, and I heard "Happy Birthday" many times over the course of the day. The chef, Diane, made a very yummy Indian curry dish and naan for dinner, and there were some awesome, specially decorated cupcakes for dessert. Then it was off on a hike in the backyard, made possible by a break in the weather. The winds had died and the clouds had moved away, leaving an expanse of stars overhead like I have never seen before. After that, I spent some time randomly doing cartwheels in the bar and sipping some very tasty scotch by the fireplace with good company.

So thank you, my friends and family, for your thoughts and kind actions and words. For those of you back home in the States, I miss you and will see you soon. For those of you here on this continent with me, I'll see you bright and early in the morning. Lots of love!




3 comments:

  1. Hey Birthday Girl,

    We are so glad you had a very special birthday. And, so glad you had it in a special place close to your heart.

    Belle didn't even forget your birthday! You are very lucky!!

    lym

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! What a great place for such a milestone birthday!

    Love,
    Jenny + Cruiser

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I really want to know is, why hasn't Paul Q. picked his bag up yet?

    ReplyDelete