Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Jet Boat Operations

Probably one of my favorite things to do this summer was guide our jet boat tours on the Matanuska River. It gave me a chance to learn more about the land around me and it got me out on the fast-flowing waters created by my favorite glacier. While on the river when not splashing about in rapids, I got to point out features to guests, such as the braids of the river, the blue-gray color of the water caused by copious amounts of rock flour, the lateral moraine from the last glacial maximum of 20,000 years ago when the glacier reached Anchorage and the poor porcupine that was stuck on the hillside for days. Sadly, our Coast Guard Licensed Captain had to return to college, so our jet boat operations ended on August 17th. However, being out on the boat, jetting up and down the river with views of the glacier and the surrounding valley and mountains will be one of the joyful memories I take home with me from this Alaskan Summer of 2012.
The Matanuska River and the glaciated valley (and 20,000 year old lateral moraine!) it runs through

Leading my last jet boat tour, made especially fun as it was with the parents of one of my summer family members

3 comments:

  1. When you coming home? Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Uncle Denny! I'm road tripping down to at least Vancouver, possibly Portland, starting September 16th. I should be home a week or so after that! Miss you! Love, Carla.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete