Monday, June 23, 2008

Mid-Winters Weekend

Mid-Winters day is a very profound holiday in Antarctica, celebrated by winter-overs at stations all across the continent. It marks the day when the sun starts making a return journey back into our lives. During this time, greetings from one station to another abound, elaborate dinners are prepared and relished, and everyone gets some much needed time off. Here at Palmer, we also have a tradition of jumping into the sea at the exact time of the solstice. This year, that happened at 7:59 p.m. I, personally, was not prepared and ended up going in with the clothes I wore to dinner. Others, however, did take time to dress appropriately in swimsuits, and my colleague, Paul, in a bout of fashion bravery, prepared himself by dressing in the infamous Palmer IT liger suit (which I'm told that as part of IT I must wear at some point during my stay).




The Mid-Winter Crew






Solstice Plunge






Hangin' Out in the Hot Tub After it was all Said and Done


1 comment: