Friday, March 19, 2010

The Winds of Change



This week I turned in my notice at Wieden+Kennedy.

Leaving the company where I have spent my last year of employment was not an easy decision. There are many things I love about W+K, such as my super talented IT team, dogs roaming the halls at work, midday yoga, freedom of working hours, a 6th floor balcony with views of mountains and kegs on most floors.

However

I felt I was losing a part of myself there. The pressure, the hours and the rigor began to weigh heavier and heavier on me. I stopped writing, I stopped drawing, and I stopped practicing piano. Ironically, it was almost as if the most creative side of myself got shut down working at one of the most creative companies in the nation.

Well, for those of you that know me, you know that I'm not afraid of change. An opportunity came my way for a position at Vestas, a Danish manufacturer, seller and installer of windmills around the globe. Besides working for a green company, the offer itself was too good to pass up.

I start on April 5th.

In the meantime, I have a few days left to finish at Wieden+Kennedy and then I am off to be surrounded by the volcanoes of Guatemala for a week to center myself before starting my next position.

This week was pivotal. Everything is changing.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, congrats on the big change. Will you be moving to Denmark then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I won't be moving to Denmark, but I hear I'll get to go there a few times a year. I also get a months worth of vacation and am told I can use Denmark as a jumping off point for personal travels. Hope fire and OSAR training is going well for you, Neal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Carla, I had no idea. But clearly, it makes sense. I hope you find all the best in you new endeavor. Stay in touch if you can, and of course HAPPY travels : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very swell, lady! Hope that the change treats you well.

    ReplyDelete