Saturday, August 21, 2010

Antarctic Reunion in the San Juans

Antarctica. It has been almost two years now since I've left, and even though time inevitably passes, I still think of it often.

Luckily, I had the opportunity last weekend to venture to Lopez Island in the San Juans for an Antarctic reunion for people who had worked at Palmer Station. The hosts have 25 acres on the island, and it was the perfect place to get away from society, come in contact with people you thought you would never see again, talk about old times, talk about new times, have a fire and be in nature.

As this is an annual tradition, I hope to now go next year. Though next time I may take a sea plane as I spent many hours of forced downtime waiting on late Washington State ferries.



The moon and a sunset during the ferry crossing to Lopez




My lodgings for the night




Seren and Adam after a group bike ride to Shark Reef park




Seals




Bald Eagle




Deer (as viewed through a bike)




Big bee

No comments:

Post a Comment