Tuesday, May 10, 2011

3rd Annual Mt. St. Helens Mothers Day Climb

For the 3rd year in a row, my climbing friends and I headed up to Mt. St. Helens on Mother's Day weekend to attempt to summit. This year, however, was much different. Instead of the bright sunshine we've had in years past, we were greeted with rain. Instead of summiting, we made a group decision to turn around when visibility was lost after climbing 2-3000'. It was a hard, emotional choice to turn back but probably for the best. Safety first, right? No matter what, I'm proud of the 20 hardy souls that woke up at 4:30 a.m., donned dresses over gear (as per mountain Mother's Day tradition), and gave it a go despite the poor, slightly miserable and possibly hypothermic conditions.



This is the 1 photo I have from the summit attempt courtesy of JL
I was too cold and wet to get out my own camera



For previous Mother's Day climbs and to see how it could have looked, click below:
2010
2009

2 comments:

  1. Just curious, what type of gear did you bring along this year (snowshoes, etc.)? I'm getting ready to do the climb on the 22nd and am trying to get ready but I sure hope the weather turns for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Justin.

    I brought snowshoes and crampons. The day I went up, though, the temps were high and the snow slushy so I wore snowshoes. In years past, I've been able to just go up in my hiking boots and only wear snowshoes at the end for the trudge out (after gliassding down as far as possible first). It all just depends. Good luck on your climb! Hope the weather holds. I'd love to hear how it went.

    ~C

    ReplyDelete