Thursday, October 18, 2007

Giving Myself Up to Science


I have volunteered to participate in a scientific study here in Antarctica. The Mayo Clinic is trying to find a scientific basis for altitude sickness. Among other things like age and fitness level, they are trying to determine if some people are genetically predisposed to getting it. They ask people coming through McMurdo on their way to the pole to participate. You can do as much or as little as you want, but the basic test consists of a blood draw, some breathing tests, and some other stats taken here and then again at the pole pretty soon after arrival. You can also choose to wear an armband that records heartrate, calories burned, steps taken, etc. for two days here, on the plane, and then at pole. I decided to do the sleep vest that monitors you while you are sleeping. I did this last night here, and I'll do it again the night I arrive at the pole or the night after...not sure which but they'll tell me. The results won't probably won't be concluded for years, but if they do find a link or a cause, it will be cool to have participated in the research.

No comments:

Post a Comment