Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Journey of a Lifetime

Somewhere around a week ago, I set out for Antarctica and have finally arrived! After two days in Denver for boring orientation and safety training, we (meaning myself and other Antarctica bound folks) left out for Christchurch, New Zealand, the staging point for all flights to Antarctica. The travel itself was good with only minor delays. Once at Christchurch, I did a little sightseeing, lots of eating, and was issued my extreme weather gear. We were all there for two nights in total. For sightseeing, I had the pleasure to meander through the botanical gardens located close to downtown. I took my time there, knowing it would be the last time I saw a tree or grass or flowers for 4+ months. In the evenings, I went and met others at the "standard" Antarctica hangout bar, Dux de Lux, where the brewmaster, Paulie (also from Portland, OR), meets almost everyone going down to the ice. From there, people would decide what to do and where to go for dinner. The first night, I went to Two Fat Indians and the second night, I went to Ann's Thai. Hmmm...yumm!

The day after arrival in New Zealand, it was time to go get our gear. We get some options (like gloves/mittens and wind bibs/carhart bibs) and multiples of stuff like socks and base layers. The gear that I will normally be wearing when outside weighs a total of 18 lbs! Once that was settled, all that was left to do was pack my boomerang bag (a small bag that you will get back if the plane gets close to Antarctica and has to turn around due to weather), enjoy some more company and food, and turn in early as it was an early morning. We reported to the clothing depot center this morning at 6:00 a.m., changed our clothes for the flight, turned in our checked baggage, had breakfast, and then had a briefing before departure. We are required to wear/have on our person six items for the flight...goggles, balaclava, parka, boots, gloves, wind/carhart pants. The flight itself was like nothing I've flown before. First, I should mention that I flew on a C17 military plane that just so happened to be carrying more cargo than people. There are no windows, no flight attendants, and it's always a good idea to wear the earplugs they give you. The flight itself, though, was very nice, and they were cool enough let you come upstairs to the cockpit for views and pictures.

Arrival in Antarctica was amazing. Descending the stairs on the plane and stepping onto the sea ice for the first time is something I'll never forget. Somehow I managed not to cry. Yay!

You can check out pictures from Christchurch here: Click here for some photos

You can check out photos from my amazing, tiring, overwhelming but in a good way day here:
Click here for some photos

7 comments:

  1. You made it!!! Awesome pictures. Do they segregate the polies (green jackets) for any particular reason? Is the coat more protective or do they just support making better people stand out in a crowd?

    I miss you lots. Have fun, but come home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Congrats and most excellent you live, that flight can be one of the most dangerous in the world. Keep the updates coming. Hope all goes well. Oh ya and you might consider Linux as running Windows down there kind makes me worried about your saftey. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blog and photos. Reminds me of the first time I flew to Kwajalein in the Marshall Islands on a military plane configured in much the same way. Stepped off that plane into 88 degrees with monster humidity, on a runway that took up almost half of the tiny island. Couldn't get shoes off and put on flip flops fast enough! I doubt you even have a pair with you. Rather than ice and snow, it was the equatorial sun beating down on blinding white coral and sand that we had to squint out when we exited the plane. So I have this important question: Did they issue a Carhart koozie or beer parka to keep your beer "warm"?

    On that note, I close with warm regards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow so exciting to read your blog and see the pics! I've been dying of curiosity.

    What an adventure!

    I can't wait for the next installment! Keep it coming!

    love,
    jenny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, you made it!! Wish you all the luck and keep the blog updated and keep sending more pictures. Stay safe and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the awesome comments. To answer Donald's question, I think they started issuing the green coats to polies to make them stand out and some say the jacket is a little warmer, heavier and tougher though no one can tell me for sure. I have heard that they may be phasing out the green coats as it's easier to only keep one kind of coat in stock to issue. In response to Eva, no Carhart koozie or beer parka :( I should mention that it was advised to me to carry my water bottle upside down in my parka so the top won't freeze. I have been out long enough to start getting ice in my water, and it should start to happen sooner at the pole.

    I miss you all, especially Donald. Stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm soooo happy for you. Sorry for not checking in sooner to read how you are doing. I miss you and continue your crazy, fun, and exciting adventure!!!!

    ReplyDelete