Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Time to Say Goodbye

Time to Say Goodbye

At 5:00 p.m. tonight, we found out the station is closing a day early due to weather forecasts. It was a crazy time, as it only left us 2 hours at most to pack, and I still had work left to do.

It now seems weird, but after 4 months, it is time to say farewell to the South Pole and my new Antarctic friends. My bags are packed and palletized in cargo, making my time here seem final. Parting will be bittersweet. It's exciting to think of civilization, a long shower, nighttime and stars, but who knows if I'll ever return here and when I'll see some of my closer friends again.

Good memories I'll never forget...


Stepping off the plane and looking around at Antarctica for the first time, and then later, stepping off my mini-Indiana-Jones-type plane and hearing "Welcome to the South Pole".

Unexpectedly seeing Emperor Penguins who were curious and unafraid of us (so happy I was crying).

Learning how to breakdance with Yuki at Ladies Night at the South Pole Telescope.

Screaming and then laughing uncontrollably after sledding down a steep hill, catching air, and then settling with a sigh of contentment in a pile of snow at the bottom.

Dancing without intent, purpose or thought during the best party of the year, Mardi Gras....just letting go!

Laughing when boxing for the first time with Jeri on my Wii.

Driving a snowmobile for the first time and catching air over the sustrugis.

Watching the IT Crowd with my fellow IT members and laughing hysterically in our homemade Comms Shop Theater.

Getting mooned at the drive-in (held in our gym). I wish I had been on the other end (of course).

Camping outside in the cold with 11 other Polies. Glad I did it, but really, what was I thinking?

Playing ultimate frisbee outside (even though my lungs hated me after).

Having wine dinners and scotch girls nights with my best friend on station, Michele. I will really, really miss her.

Click here for a random smattering of photos

No comments:

Post a Comment