Monday, April 21, 2008

GSAR and Flag Drilling

As if being on the fire team and OSAR weren't enough, I've also signed up to be on the Glacier Search and Rescue team. We've only had a preliminary meeting so I'm not 100% sure what this will entail. However, before the snows hit and cover them up, an email went out to the team asking for volunteers to go up on the glacier to replace some flags that had been blown over or were close to being blown out of their holes. The flags themselves are used as a course marker for Palmerites who want to hike the glacier but not fall in a crevasse. Of course I wanted to try it, so after a quick orientation on how to use the drill, I tagged along with my favorite research associates, Neal and Scott, and went up the glacier for the first time. Despite the yak tracks I was wearing, it was still a little unsteady and slippery, and at first, the drill felt kind of awkward to use. Nonetheless, after a couple hours of work, the first 15 flags of our inner loop were set for the winter.

Click here for some photos

2 comments:

  1. tonight i took a tour of palmer by way of adam, neil, and you.

    i'm hooked. i like my current world, but my future dreams my be leaning toward yours.

    now, to sleep! and then to see the stars, hidden beneath the pulsating lights...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, I'm your co-favorite? That's so sweet.

    ReplyDelete