Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Pier Jumping














At Palmer station, it is tradition to jump off the pier into the freezing water whenever the ship leaves or on either of the solstices. Though this idea seems crazy, I couldn't help but feel the need to participate when the ship that brought me to Palmer departed. So as the Gould pulled away, myself and about 10 others headed to the buoy to make our jump. All I can say is that the cold water is quite shocking. However, when you get out the air feels surprisingly warm giving you a nice, tingly feeling all over, and once you make the walk/run to the hot tub, it feels even better. I'm hoping to do it again when the next ship leaves.

Click here for some photos

4 comments:

  1. Haha! Crazy if you ask me. I got some decent shots from the boat perspective as we sailed away too, though, I didn't realize I had the iso setting set to 1600 on my camera so they are a bit grainy. You jumped a bit late Carla, so my photos of you are from a distance, got some good ones of Seren though. I'll try and post some soon and let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw crap. If you do it again that means I do too...darn peer pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This definently deserves a Kriek!
    I've sent a box to Port Hueneme, and addressed it to you.
    Let me know when you get it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a brave and wild woman. I am so impressed. How long are you going to stay in next time?

    ReplyDelete