Monday, November 29, 2010

The Christmas Markets of Germany

Last week, I had an awesome opportunity to visit Germany, a country I have never visited before! I spent the weekdays in Husum for work and then took the train to spend the weekend as a tourist in Hamburg. My exploring was hindered somewhat in both cities...in Husum, due to it being dark when the workday was done and then in Hamburg by coming down with what I believe to have been the flu. Regardless, I tried as I always do, to make the most of the situation and have some fun.

Unexpectedly, the theme for my week was Christmas markets. Before coming to Germany, I had no idea they were such a big tradition here. They are seemingly in every town and date back to the late middle ages. A Christmas market will have booths selling food, the traditional drink of warm mulled wine called Glühwein (pronounced glue-vine) and local arts and crafts. While walking through, one's senses are assaulted. The aroma of roasted chestnuts and grilled sausages fills the air while Christmas music floats in the ears and decorations and Christmas lights can be seen everywhere. But more than that, people seem to be genuinely happy standing in the freezing cold talking with friends while holding a warm cup of Glühwein in their hands. The whole experience definitely gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling.



My very first Christmas market...in Husum and joined by my awesome work colleagues




A warm fire to warm my colleagues and I as we enjoyed a post-work Glühwein




In Hamburg...one of the many Christmas markets and the historical Town Hall which amazingly survived the bombings in the war




Walking through the booths in another part of town




Unseen from the city center, Hamburg has a large harbour and busy port with many cranes and ships




The waterways help give this town a beautiful ambiance




A night scene on the lake

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmmmmm, Glühwein. I had some in Zagreb, a lovely concoction.

    ReplyDelete