Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Music

As some of you may or may not know, music is really important to me. I listen to music at work, on the bus and while running. When I get home from work, one of the first things I do is turn on my home audio system to get the night started. And once, years ago at my request, my friend, Josh, mailed me a set of travel speakers to Argentina. I now take these on all of my travels.

Lucky for me, Portland is a great town for music! I try to attend concerts regularly, especially if it is an awesome, local band. Last week I attended 3 in all. That's more than I usually attend in one week and sometimes even in one month, but there were some concerts I just couldn't pass up.


Drew Grow


This guy is amazing. He has a great voice and lyrics, and he really gives it his all while performing, even disconnecting from the audience and closing his eyes most of the time. Also, he played at The Woods, my new favorite venue in Portland. It used to be a mortuary and I believe that the artists now perform where bodies used to be laid out for viewing. That sounds morbid but it actually makes for a really good space.



The Head and the Heart


My new favorite band! This is a picture of them doing a sound check from outside The Crocodile as my friend and I stood outside in the rain asking anyone if they had extra tickets to this sold out show. After driving all the way to Seattle, I was ecstatic to eventually find tickets and then to enjoy a fantastic performance before making the long and late drive back to Portland. I'll be going up to see them again in January.



The Dandy Warhols


A Portland staple, this band formed in 1993. I also used to take yoga from the wives of two of the band members while working at Wieden + Kennedy. They played at the Crystal Ballroom and I wasn't in a great position to get a good picture but I like the combination of the green lights and the old chandelier.

No comments:

Post a Comment