Saturday, November 12, 2011

Settling Into Station Life

I've been on station for over a week now and am starting to feel more and more at home here. I've adjusted to the high altitude, work is taking off at a good pace with good projects and routines are starting to form. My post-work social is quite busy with activities like yoga, swing dancing lessons, volleyball, Sunday science lectures and random game nights. I also work at the station store on Wednesdays and am hosting a viewing of Firefly on Mondays. Alone time here is a precious commodity! Fortunately, I'm surrounded by awesome and capable colleagues and people who are turning into good friends. And though I often lament the fact that there are no avocados and that a lot of food is expired, the chefs do an excellent job and I'm never lacking for something yummy to eat. Even the 2 minute showers don't seem so bad! All in all, I'm finding my way here at the South Pole and am happy.




The bottom of our planet is vast




After about a week on station, I made it out to the official South Pole




Often my job requires that I visit buildings away from station.
The ball on the right is the dome housing one of our satellites.




But in -40 degree weather, bundling up in ECW gear is essential when snowmobilling about




Sometimes we venture out as a team and work on things together
In this instance, we're looking at a wireless issue at our passenger terminal by the runway (no Starbucks here)




Open mic is just one of the many events hosted on station
There are a so many talented musicians here

No comments:

Post a Comment