Saturday, July 12, 2008

A Break in the Weather

Finally (emphasis on finally), the winds died down here at Palmer this week. The storms that have been plaguing us these past weeks with winds up to 40 knots sustained and gusts up to 60 have passed. Not knowing how long this break would last, the station manager let us take an extended lunch to get outdoors for some recreation time on the water. It's amazing how an hour outdoors, motoring across amazingly calm waters, navigating through brash ice and observing seals on the shores of various islands as we passed them by can help morale. It was a much needed escape from station life.




Brendan driving us around our Antarctic water world while Eric looks on.






Katherine and I loving life.




The beginnings of pancake ice.

3 comments:

  1. I should have gone, but I held out the feeble hope that the changed wind would allow me to get some work done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pancake ice looks like you could skate on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous, I was really hoping to go rec-boating in those 3 extra weeks I had, but the winds just wouldn't die down.
    Now I'm wishing for those 30 knots winds, with 90 degrees, and 90% humidity, that would be a nice change.

    ReplyDelete