Saturday, April 3, 2010

Glorious Guatemala


For the past week, I have had the good fortune to travel about Guatemala, and I must say that I had an amazing adventure.

From previous travels in Central/South America, I expected that:
As a rich tourist by Guatemalan standards, someone would try to rip me off (happened at least once)

There would be a multitude of stray dogs, shoe shiners and utterances of "No Gracias" on my part

Local men would get all googly-eyed, say "Hola" or whistle when females pass, as is the culture


What I didn't expect was:
The friendliness of the people as smiles and greetings of "Buenas Dias" were so easily given and received in Antigua

Almost everything I did, whether it be yoga, camping or simply walking down the street, would be within view of 1 or more of Guatemala's 30+ volcanoes

I would get to see the city of Antigua transformed as celebrations for Semana Santa (Holy Week) got underway


So thanks again Michele for suggesting this amazing country as a place for me to escape reality for just a little bit.




The dock at Villa Sumaya, where I spent 3 days on a yoga retreat, doing yoga twice a day




My tent at the Earth Lodge, an avocado grove in the highlands just outside of Antigua




Hanging in a hammock with a view of some volcanoes




An eruption on Volcano Fuego, a common site




Transporting back to Antigua, Guatemala style




Hiking up Volcano Pacaya




Lava flow! So hot it felt like a sauna and the shoes of the girl beside me were melting on the hot rocks




Hiking back down as others come up




Antigua street with yet another volcano




Parque Central in the early morning light




The start of one of the many processions during Semana Santa in Antigua




A Semana Santa float carried down the streets of Antigua by children




A larger float carried by adults




These temporary works of art, known as alfombras, are spread across the streets of Antigua during Holy Week




An alfombra in creation




Leaving Antigua in a tuk-tuk



Check back soon for a Semana Santa video!

No comments:

Post a Comment