Friday, May 18, 2012

4th Annual Mt. St. Helens Mothers Day Climb

For the 4th year in a row, gear was assembled, dresses were donned and my friends and I were off for another Mother's Day summit attempt of Mt. St. Helens. This year, the weather was great, warm sun with a light chilling breeze, and a fun but challenging time was had by all.
17 intrepid peak ascenders start out on the trail at 5 am to get as much hiking in before the sun comes up and starts melting the snow

Hiking through the woods to get to the mountain proper

Dresses swaying as we continue up the mountain with beautiful Mt Adams watching our every step

And on up the mountain we go, sort of like doing a stair climber for hours on end

At the summit, eating, resting and enjoying the sun and the views. 16 out of 17 of us made it to the top!

In 2007, I climbed Mt. Hood for the first time with some amazing people. Two bottles of Bridgeport IPA joined us on that climb but were not drank and Daniel saved them until this moment for us to share on another summit. Who knew beer could be both poignant and so tasty! Team IPA forever!

At the summit with views of the crater rim and Mt. Rainier while thinking of my momma

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I just ran across your blog when looking for something else, so I browsed back through your entries. You've had a great year! I too used to summit Mt. Everest on Mother's Day - it was a tradition. Also, I saw your photos in NZ where you got to see the Blue Duck - so jealous! That was a bird I was looking for and didn't see. Take care, Karla!

    ReplyDelete