Monday, May 7, 2012

Boat Work

One of my cool Portland friends is really into sailing and as such, has 2 boats. One is a 20' Cal currently docked on the Columbia river while the other is a 34' Benford Sailing Dory, on land and in the middle of a long-term remodel project. Once the project is complete, this large boat will be ocean worthy and will sport some cool Asian junk style sails.

While I often get to go sailing on the smaller boat on the Columbia, I also occasionally go and help with the remodel project on the larger boat. This usually involves drilling, swinging a hammer, sanding or whatever else is needed to be done. Maybe it's because I normally sit at a desk and work on computers all day but I love me a good day of manual labor!
BEFORE
My task this week was to demo the inside bow of the boat

AFTER
All shelving, platform and wall paneling removed and part of the floor already sanded!

A prime example of why the remodel project is even happening at all. After removing this steel nail (which is not suitable on a boat due to rust), you can see daylight as it went all the way through the hull

No comments:

Post a Comment