Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Arrival in Punta Arenas, Chile

Being back in civilization is exciting but also a bit strange, especially when the civilization you're dropped into is already a foreign one. However, I think I prefer this over the States, as I'm sure American consumerism and marketing would be a little much for me at the moment.

Punta Arenas has quite a few charms that can't be overlooked; day long sunshine, a large square with unique trees and buildings with beautiful architecture. Stray dogs abound, jaywalking is just as easy as before and people watching has never been so fun.

There are moments when I'm overwhelmed with the activity of the place and get distracted easily. While sharing a drink with a friend, it was hard to ignore the couple making out incessantly across from me or the kid shrieking behind me. However, I've also had moments when I'm also overwhelmed by the niceness of the people here, such as the doorman who leaves his post to help you with your stubborn lock or the woman who saves the day when you realize your shopping cart is not going to fit through the checkout line and have no idea where to put it.

Soon I'm off to an end of cruise dinner with 20 other Antarcticans where I look forward to looking at a menu and practicing my Spanish while I order a delightful meal that will hopefully include fresh seafood.



Dogs sleeping in the square




Local kids on skateboards + 1 stray dog




View from my room with the LMG and the NBP in the background

2 comments:

  1. Have fun!

    It looks like you are on the road to some rest and relaxation!

    Love the pictures!
    lym

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carla,

    Already hit the road (the one where you dont need snowtracks :-).

    Let me know if U wanna hit Holland as well (and your new maildaddress)

    Grtx,
    Huub

    ReplyDelete