Thursday, September 18, 2008

Buenos Aires Arrival

Upon leaving Santiago, it felt good to be on my way to my next home, Buenos Aires. I'll be staying here for one month in an apartment located in the Palermo district. To get to Buenos Aires, I took 2 buses. The first bus crossed the Andes during daylight hours, heading for the town of Mendoza. Customs was a breeze and once in Mendoza, I only had a 2 hour layover for my overnight portion of the trip. The bus rides were amazingly luxurious. I had plenty of leg room, large windows, beautiful scenery during the day, and my night bus had seats that fully reclined, perfect for catching a few zz's.

As I've spent the last several months living in a land of no vegetation, it's not surprising that one of the first sights I saw in Buenos Aires was the Botanical Garden. The garden was just what I needed and didn't disappoint...sunshine, lots of green space and cozy park benches. As an added bonus, there were lots of cats roaming around. I've since learned that they are taken care of by volunteers and receive free veterinary care to keep them healthy and the population under control. The botanical garden itself was created by Carlos Thays, a French citizen by birth who moved to Buenos Aires when he was 40. After 6 years of hard work, the garden opened for the first time 110 years ago on September 7, 1898.


Switchbacks leading the way over the Andes Mountains




A theater turned bookshop called El Ataneo. There is a coffee shop on the main stage




The Botanical Garden. It's early spring here but there were a few flowers blossoming.




Muchos Gatos




A very sweet kitty that walked over and hung around my park bench, sometimes dozing underneath.

No comments:

Post a Comment