Friday, November 7, 2008

Island Life


It took a little bit of time for me to settle into my new quiet life after so much time in the big city. It didn't help either that when I arrived here, I was recovering from a small bout of food poisoning and then soon after, I got 10+ mosquito bites on my feet (which, believe me, can make for some uncomfortable walking). Through it all, though, I've managed to recover and stay quite active...hiking in the jungle, swimming in the ocean, kayaking and getting my PADI scuba diving certification.

The charming seaside pousada I'm staying in has also enhanced my overall sense of well-being in this idyllic setting. Owned by an older French couple who don't speak English, our conversations are generally "Good Morning", "Thank you" and recently, "Obama" followed by a thumbs-up sign. My room has a balcony with a hammock that I've developed a small addiction for, hummingbirds flitt in and out looking for nectar in the nearby flowers and breakfast always comes with a fresh blended fruit drink.



On an island with no cars, this is the main method used to transport vegetables from the boat to the mercado.




A funny monkey




Kayaking around




The old aqueduct built in the late 1800's

1 comment:

  1. I can empathize with you one the bug bites and food poisioning :(

    ReplyDelete