Sunday, November 30, 2008

Machu Picchu



For years, I have wanted to visit Machu Picchu. A forgotten city that was never found and therefore, never destoyed by the Spanish. A lost city of the Incas that was re-discovered in 1911 by Hiram Bingham. Today, a city that is a major archeological site that stands at 2400m and has stood since the early 1400´s.

For me personally, my day at Machu Picchu was amazing and very memorable. To beat the crowds, I got there early so I could get inside when the gates opened at 6:00 a.m. Surreal is the word that came to mind as I stood in the ancient city in the early morning mist, surrounded by Peruvian mountains with few signs of civilization. Throughout the day, as the sun rose and the people came, I spent a lot of time wandering the ruins, then a little time climbing to the top of Waynu Picchu (limited to 400 people per day) and finally, a nice, relaxing time sharing a good bottle of wine in the shade of a nearby rock.


The train ride from Cusco to Aguas Calientes




A view of Machu Picchu from the top of the very steep, Waynu Picchu




A local Incan Alpaca

1 comment:

  1. I have a great picture of one of thos alpacas (or was it a llama?) trying to bite Webster at Machu Picchu.

    ReplyDelete