Saturday, July 18, 2009

Outdoor Movies

The summertime outdoor movie series in Portland has begun! Portlanders can go to local parks or to rooftops to enjoy a show and the fresh summer air. This week, my awesome friend, Kate, and I had to opportunity to go to the opening night of Top Down, a weekly outdoor movie screening by the NW Film Center on the parking rooftop of the Hotel Deluxe. Since the venue is very close to my apartment, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to spend the night outside, watching the sun set and looking at the night sky. While waiting for the movie to start, there was live music and yummy food and drink to be had. The movie itself was Duck Soup, a Marx Brothers movie from the 1930's. Though typically not my sort of movie, I found myself fascinated by the clothing, the music and the dialogue used in a movie so old...and the fact that they were still debating the correct pronunciation of the word 'either' even back then. And when the main character mentioned Admiral Byrd and the South Pole, Kate and I couldn't help looking over at each other and smiling.



The rooftop with my city looking on




The band providing some good tunes while we wait for twilight





My choice of placeholders that I had on-hand so we could wander around




The sun setting behind my delicious cup of ale

No comments:

Post a Comment